Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Riot in the metro!

June 27 Wednesday


Today we were up and down going all over Sol in what I like to call downtown Madrid. We got a lot done, starting with taking the metro to Sol from the hotel and using the Internet cafe and phone booths to call our families at home.

Krystal, Geraldo, Sarah, Caroline, Erica and I were all walking to the metro and somehow we ended up getting a bit confused. I think in Madrid or in San Antonio, it could happen to anyone. Especially if you are hungry and have been walking in the sun all day like we were. We were all just so tired and could not wait to get back to the hotel and fall on bed in the fresh, air conditioned room to rest for a few minutes before dinner with the rest of the group. But meanwhile back at the metro station as we waited patiently for our metro to arrive, we could not understand why it was taking longer than usual. I began to think it was just me being inpatient, so I just leaned against the wall with all the other bystanders waiting for the same thing.

IAfter a while we began to hear dogs barking and men speaking louder than usual. As curious Americans, we began to shuffle our way down the crowd to the other side of the station. To my surprise, I saw many police officers rushing through trying to get inside the metro train.

Thankfully, this was all happening on the other train across from the one we are to be boarding.

As soon as the police shoved their way in the train a sudden burst of mace was shot into the crowd. Overhearing the locals talking, I understood it was only some hooligans acting up. Then, without notice, an officer began to clobber some guys in the head and a man got hit. It was all so sudden and from all the commotion, it looked as if it could have been a terrorist attack. Thankfully, it was only "punks" as one local put it.

This was such an interesting, yet chilling, moment that I will always remember when I see a metro or subway.

No comments: