Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The big difference!

June 3 Tuesday


The traditional class room experience: Just another day in San Antonio at Palo Alto College with your professor in the front of the class room lecturing you on some palace in another country with much more beauty than the book itself can show. You nudge your fellow student who is falling asleep slouching in the seats while the time is dragging. Its hard to concentrate especially since you can’t stop thinking about tonight’s episode of House that you have been dieing to see and would not miss anything for it, not even your prompt on the journal entry for that day which the professor just announced. Eventually the hour passes by and it is time to leave the class and go to work or run errands as usual.

The study-abroad experience: Hurry up! Do not miss that wake up call, you do not want to be late and have the bus leave with out you to the next city in Spain. Try to make it for breakfast because we have a long day ahead of us. What a hassle it is lugging around your suite case but it’s all worth it when you get to the next hotel. Spain is our class room and the teacher is not in front of you, but all around you. And instead of wondering how big that palace really is, I can walk right through the entrance and find out for myself. At the end of class I don’t just go home, I explore whole different world. As night falls I am reminded that tomorrow will not be like today. In Spain, everyday is a new adventure.

I enjoy both learning experiences. Although studying abroad helps expand my thoughts and keeps not only my body on the go but my soul as well.

This has been the first time I have ever traveled with out my family, especially to another county overseas. I loved comparing our country to another first hand. I have learned great deal, I did not imagine it would be so much. I have formed new friendships and in a short period of time. This is well worth it. Maturity is at a whole new level for me. I would definitely take in consideration a semester studying abroad.

No comments: