Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I spy colored tiles

June 20 Wednesday


Along with beauty, Barcelona brought abstract architecture to Spain. Great artists such as Antonio Gaudi helped change the face of architecture. His modern, yet still, under construction cathedral, La Familia Sagrada, and the colorful tiled park, Parque Guell, bring an enormous attraction to Barcelona.

In a very modern way, Gaudi reminds me of Pablo Picasso and his art work. Picasso created the art form of cubism and in a modern form, Gaudi used cubism for his tiled work. Gaudi´s art work has a touch of modernism and medieval twist to them. When I first saw the cathedral, I was amazed. I had never seen another like it. Gaudi was creative when he thought of making 18 towers, 12 for the 12 apostles, 4 for the 4 evangelists, one for Mary, and one for Jesus as a part of the cathedral. The Cathedral has distinctive color and beautiful objects with important biblical meaning.

To me it looks as if Gaudi was playing with his art and having a good time creating it for the world. The Parque Guell has beautiful landscape with bright catchy colors and a splash of different colors tiled all over the park make marvelous statues and seats. Casa Mila, which he also created, is very different and reminds me of a beautiful soft cave.

Gaudi has a distinctive creativity. If you were to see his art, you would know it was his. Gaudi was inspired by Spanish Gothic architecture while putting his own touch of creativity. It is marvelous, and I encourage anyone who appreciates art and architecture to make a trip to see these works of beauty.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very balanced and informed view.

Anonymous said...

heve you been to las vegas

Unknown said...

You had a nice trip. I really liked your pictures. I also visited Barcelona and really liked this wonderful city. Most of all I liked Gaudi's masterpieces. They are really great and awesome beauty. They are visit card of Barcelona and whole Spain. From many Barcelona hotels I chose one, about 5 minutes walk from the Ramblas. I fell in love with Barcelona and its beautiful architecture, there is so much to see and could have stayed for longer, however, you can get to see a lot in a day as it is not that big and is easy to get around.